ON THE SWAY, YAW AND ROLL MOTIONS OF A SHIP IN SHORT CRESTED WAVES
In this paper, first we have derived two kinds of equations of the sway, yaw and roll motions in waves based on the strip theory. One is according to the Ordinary Strip Method and the other according to the New Strip Method. In the next place, we have measured these three motions for a waves generated in our long towing tank, and compared the waves geneated in our long towing tank, and compared the results of computation by the above two equations with the results of experiments. Through the above study, it is concluded that the computed values from the equation of motion by the Ordinary Strip Method differ very little from the ones by the New Strip Method. Comparisons between computed values and experimental ones show satisfactory agreement for the amplitudes of the sway and yaw. As for the amplitudes of the roll in the resonance condition, however, the computed values are larger than the experimental ones by about 10 to 20 percent.
West Japan Society of Naval ArchitectsKyushu University, Hakozaki C-10-1, Higashi-ku
- Tasai, F
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Rolling; Ship motion; Tanks (Containers); Towing devices
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing; Roll amplitude; Strip theory; Towing tanks
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323719
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM