MODELLING THE HELMSMAN
For this study a simulator for manoeuvring with surface ships was used. It was constructed as a project of the Dutch Panel on Ship Manoeuvrability. A mathematical model for the helmsman as controller in a closed loop system is found. The model describes the helmsman's actions to stabilize the system. The method used consists of simulation of the behaviour of the helmsman with analog computing elements. After the choice of a suitable mathematical model, the model parameters are computed so as to get the best match of the model with the behaviour of the helmsman. In this so-called "model-matching" technique it is assumed that the output of the helmsman can be described by a linear differential equation.
- Presented at the 12th International Towing Tank Conference, 1969.
Rome Towing TankRome, Italy
- Stuurman, A M
- Publication Date: 1969
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Analog computers; Behavior; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Mathematical models; Performance; Personnel performance; Ship pilotage; Ship simulators; Simulation
- Old TRIS Terms: Human performance
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323700
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM