REPORT OF THE MANEUVERABILITY COMMITTEE 12TH ITTC. APPENDIX 2
Although some kind of model studies on confined water manoeuvring may be performed in most laboratories distinct advantages will be offered by permanent shallow depth basins. Out of the 53 man-built basins at 24 laboratories described in ref. 1 of 1963 only 11 were especially designed for these kinds of studies: notably, the VBD facilities in Duisburing are almost exclusively engaged in shallow water testing and research for inland waterways. In 1965 the new "Wave and Current Laboratory" was opened at the NSMB, built in response to the new problems set by large ocean-going ships in port approaches, which may no longer to considered as deep. In reply to an advance questionnaire in late 1968 14 laboratories reported that they were or had been involved in experimental work on manoeuvring in confined waters.
- Presented at the 12th International Towing Tank Conference, 1969.
Rome Towing TankRome, Italy
- Norrbin, N H
- Publication Date: 1969
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Maneuvering; Model basins
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing; Restricted water operation; Shallow water maneuvering
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323678
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM