AN APPLICATION OF KALMAN FILTER TO THE DISCRETE TIME ROUTE TRACKING OF SHIPS
The discrete time optimal route tracking system of ships is considered under the position fix error and the system disturbances. In this system, the position fix and control are made at the appropriate time intervals. Measurement data, which contain measurement error, are put into the Kalman filter to obtain the optimal estimation of state variables. Making use of this estimation, the optimal course and speed correction are calculated by Dynamic Programming technique. These correction are then executed during the next time interval. The variance of route tracking error can be expressed as a function of the length of control position fix errors and system disturbances. Therefore, better accuracy of route tracking can be attained by the shorter interval of control as well as the better position fix devices.
- Presented at the 4th Ship Control Systems Symposium, 1975.
Royal Netherlands Naval CollegeP-de Hoochweg
129 Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Koyama, T
- KIMURA, Y
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Mathematical models; Navigation systems; Position fixing; Ship pilotage; Ships; Tracking systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Position finding; Ship tracking
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323640
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM