UNCONVENTIONAL MANOEUVERING DEVICES -- THE STATE OF THE ART
All the new ships of all classes from roll-on-roll-off ferries and high speed container-ships to the large tankers, have displayed their special needs for unconventional manoeuvring devices to be used in normal operations or in emergency situations. In this appendix the essential characteristics of some of these new devices are summarized. In order to keep the present appendix of reasonable length, emphasis is placed on the manoeuvrability point of view. Only description, advantages (and disadvantages) of these unconventional manoeuvring devices are given. These devices may be classified in the two following categories: -devices increasing manoeuvring effectiveness at normal speed in ahead conditions, -devices increasing manoeuvring effectiveness in low speed, or astern conditions.
- Presented at the International Towing Tank Conference (13th), Report of Manoeuvrability Committee Appendix VIII.
National Research Council of Canada1200 Montreal Road
Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1A 0R6
- Aucher, M
- Publication Date: 1972
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Performance; Rudders; State of the art
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323509
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 29 1980 12:00AM