MAGNETIC SENSOR FEASIBILITY TEST FOR COAST GUARD VESSEL TRAFFIC SERVICES
The Coast Guard Office of R & D has an on-going project to test the feasibility of using various sensors in the monitoring of vessel traffic in existing Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) operating areas. This report describes the effort involved in testing magnetic sensors. The report contains a description of both the sensor system configuration and the results of feasibility tests that were performed in Houston, TX and Sault Ste, Marie, MI. As a result of these tests, and based on the conclusions made within this report, it is recommended that magnetic sensors not be used in VTS and that no further R&D effort on magnetic sensors be expended.
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20593
- Drown, T M
- Publication Date: 1980-8
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Magnetometers; Vessel traffic control
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00323325
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: C-G-D-51-80 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM