DYNAMIC BUCKLING OF THE ELASTIC CYLINDRICAL SHELL SUBJECTED TO IMPULSIVE LOADING
A periodic, Fourier series solution is presented for the nonlinear dynamic response of an impulsively loaded, elastic cylindrical shell. This result has been obtained by a new application of the quadratic form of Newton's method; in this modification the frequency is considered to be the basic independent variable, and analytical corrections are obtained when solutions of the linear variational equations are nonperiodic. The solution presented here is shown to consist of a slowly varying function modulating a rapidly varying function, and is compared with results obtained by direct numerical integration.
- Presented at meeting, Nov. 11-15, 1973.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Hubka, W F
- Publication Date: 1973-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Buckling; Cylinders (Geometry); Dynamic loads; Shells (Structural forms)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cylindrical shells
- Old TRIS Terms: Elastic shells
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00054030
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: #73-WA/APM-27 Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1974 12:00AM