MOTOR CARRIER AND SHIPPER CENSUS/IDENTIFICATION
The federal motor carrier safety regulations (49 C.F.R. 385-399) are applicable to interstate motor carrier operations, and the federal hazardous materials regulations (49 C.F.R. 170-179) apply to both shippers and carriers of hazardous materials. The system consists of a master record of carriers and shippers domiciled in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Carrier identification include unique identification number; name, address, and staff member territorial code; organization structure, carrier classification (e.g. Private, Common) fleet size, commodities transported, geographic area of operations, date served with regulation, and date of last federal safety inspection survey. Shipper identifications are similar. Principal reports are: carrier and shipper census data (quarterly) and other data as deemed appropriate or upon request. Data are used in identifying on a national basis all shippers and carriers of hazardous materials and also provides for general and selective mailing lists. Data are derived from prescribed report forms (MCS0135 and 135a) prepared by federal government personnel based on interviews or correspondence with officials of motor carrier and shipper entities.
- ADP Storage: Magnetic tape. Restricted to internal use. Data will be made available to the public as authorized by the administration.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Freight traffic; Highways; Safety and security; Transportation safety
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00320810
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Systems Center
- Files: TSR, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 30 1982 12:00AM