EFFECTS OF MOBILE-SOURCE AIR AND NOISE POLLUTION ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY VALUES, 1975
Report attempts to measure the damage to residential property values from air and noise pollution from motor vehicles and aircraft. Also presents estimates of aggregate national costs and benefits of control measures, 1975-2010. Study develops a model, using a wide variety of housing unit and neighborhood characteristics for the Washington, D.C., SMSA, and makes 4 analyses calculating dollar differences in property value in relation to peak hour travel time to the central business district, air pollution, traffic noise, and aircraft noise. Contents: Chapter 1-3. Explanation of methodology and theoretical model; with 3 tables. Chapter 4-8. Development of the empirical model and findings. Includes review of studies and regression results for the 4 analyses; with 39 tables. Chapter 9-10. National costs and benefits. Includes estimates for automobile, truck, and aircraft emissions control programs, and truck and jet aircraft noise abatement measures, at various control levels, annually 1975-2010; with 16 tables. Appendices with data sources, references, and methodological material. Data on D.C. are from 1970 Census records and Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments reports and files, 1969-73; sources are listed for each data item. Pollution control cost data are derived from EPA reports and other published sources.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air quality management; Aircraft noise; Benefit cost analysis; Intermodal transportation; Noise; Noise control; Peak hour traffic; Property values; Residential areas; Socioeconomic factors; Traffic noise
- Old TRIS Terms: Social-economic studies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00320635
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: One-Time
- Files: TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1981 12:00AM