RAILROAD ACCIDENT/INCIDENT REPORTING SYSTEM (RAIRS)
The principal data are railroad codes, casualty information, damage costs, location of accident, train speed, weather, and grade crossing information. 1) Accident bulletin: A single bulletin number assigned to each year since 1922, gives brief tables on casualties to persons of all classes of passengers, to employee, to trepassers; Highway grade-crossing accidents, & train accidents. Also further breakdown of accidents by individual railway. 2) Preliminary report of railroad accident/incidents and resulting casualties--published 2 months after cover date. 3) Summary of accidents/incidents reported by all line-haul switching and terminal railroad companies--same data, published 6 months after cover date. (Formerly summary of accidents reported by steam railways, 1924-1966, published by ICC) 4) Rail-Highway grade-crossing accidents/incidents- since 1935, gives time of accidents, type, kind of crossing protection, types, and speeds of vehicle and trains involved, weather conditions, etc.
- Published reports: Accident Bulletin (Annual); Rail-Highway Grade-Crossing Accidents (Annual); Preliminary Report of Railroad Accident/Incidents and Resulting Casualties (Monthly); & Summary of Accident/Incidents Reported by All Line Haul & Switching & Terminal Railroad Companies (Monthly). Data are received from railroads on the standard FRA Accident Reporting form monthly, with a summary report at the end of the year.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Casualties; Crash data; Crashes; Information systems; Passengers; Railroad grade crossings; Railroads; Safety and security; Statistics; Traffic crashes; Transportation safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Passenger safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Grade crossing accidents
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00320312
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monthly
- Files: TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM