CONSIDERATIONS IN DESIGN OF MARINE INSTALLATIONS AND EQUIPMENT FOR COLD WEATHER SERVICE
In the paper which follows the authors have attempted to set out some of the problems and considerations which affect the design and the operation of the equipment on the Coast Guard ships. The discussion in the paper also includes the installations of services and systems which are part of the ships themselves. It is felt that one cannot divorce considerations in the construction of the ships from considerations in the design of the mechanical equipment in this context. There are many instances governing the standards of construction and criteria for construction of the ship and ship systems which probably would apply to certain kinds of equipment. Especially in the future when extended operations in the Arctic may take place for up to twelve months, we feel that new equipment will not only be larger, more powerful and designed for much more severe cold weather conditions, it will also be more sophisticated. Many of the considerations that we now incorporate into ship's systems which may not reflect in ordinary ship's equipment will, in point of fact, be reflected in ship's equipment of the future. Therefore, we are including in this discussion some observations on the design of certain aspects of the ships themselves and their systems as well as that of their equipment.
- Presented at the Canadian Institute of Mechanical Engineers and SNAME Joint Meeting.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Lawrence, RGA
- Collins, C F
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 59 p.
- TRT Terms: Cold weather; Decks (Ships); Deicers (Equipment); Machinery; Operations; Pipe laying; Ships; Steering systems; Vehicle components; Vehicle design; Ventilation systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Deck machinery; Deicers
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship equipment; Steering system design
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053935
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1974 12:00AM