TECHNIQUES FOR ESTIMATING FLOOD PEAKS, VOLUMES, AND HYDROGRAPHS ON SMALL STREAMS IN SOUTH DAKOTA
Procedures are defined for estimating magnitude and frequency of future flood peaks and flood volumes and for estimating hydrograph shape of rainfall-induced runoff of small streams in South Dakota where flood flows are not significantly affected by artificial storage or other manmade activities. For 115 gaged sites, the estimates are from frequency curves defined from the gaging records. Estimates are made for ungaged sites using regression relations based on drainage basin size, main channel slope, and soil-infiltration index. Estimating relations are applicable for flood peaks on watersheds draining 0.05 to 100 square miles and for flood volumes on watersheds draining from 0.05 to 15 square miles. Limitations on use of the regression relations and the reliability of estimates are discussed. A method is indicated for using the estimating procedures and embankment ponding to design smaller highway culverts. The procedures were developed from analysis of flood records of 123 gaged sites. For 66 sites, short-term records were extended using long-term climatic records and a rainfall-runoff model. Flood magnitudes as dependent variables were related by regression analyses to indexes describing the drainage basins as independent variables. A dimensionless hydrograph shape was found appropriate for rainfall-runoff hydrographs. (FHWA)
U.S. Geological SurveyF Street Between 18th and 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20244
- BECKER, L D
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Drainage basins; Estimating; Floods; Hydrochloric acid; Rainfall; Regression analysis; Runoff; Slopes; Streams; Volume; Weather forecasting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Flood frequency; Flood peaks
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; I26: Water Run-off - Freeze-thaw;
- Accession Number: 00325043
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-SD-80-80 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM