POLLED LORAN-C DISPLAY SYSTEM (PLDS) DEMONSTRATION AT VTS VALDEZ AK
This report describes the installation and demonstration of the polled Loran-C display system (PLDS) at VTS Valdez Ak. The PLDS is a computer based position monitoring system that uses Loran-C time difference data transmitted over VHF-FM radio links to monitor the positions of cooperating vessels. The demonstration was intended to test the feasibility of using the system to monitor the positions of taps tankers as they transit Prince William sound to call at Valdez to load crude oil from the Trans-Alaskan pipeline.
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20593
- Drown, T M
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Data communications; Information display systems; Loran C; Position fixing; Telemetry; Very high frequency; Vessel traffic control; Water traffic; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: Alaska
- Old TRIS Terms: Position finding; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00323491
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-48-80
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM