YEAR 1990: TRANSIT RIDERSHIP FORECASTS
This study developed transit ridership forecasts for the year 1990. To this end, a separate paradigm was calibrated for each of the twenty-four transit systems investigated. The models relate transit usage rate, measured in annual trips per capita, to a number of causal parameters, including: fare, level of service, gross personal income, and residential and transit network densities. Transit ridership was derived by multiplying the forecast transit usage rate by projected population size. Forecasts of ridership and ridership rates generated were based on a number of alternative fare and level of service policies postulated for the period 1976-1990. Conclusions outlining the impact of these operating policies of ridership and ridership rates are presented.
- Prepared in Cooperation with Presage Research Limited.
Transport CanadaSurface Transportation Administration, 1000 Sherbrooke Street, West
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3A 2R3
- Publication Date: 1979-8
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Fares; Forecasting; Income; Level of service; Long range planning; Mathematical models; Passengers; Policy; Public transit; Quality of service; Rapid transit; Ridership; Tariffs; Time duration; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Long term; Use
- ITRD Terms: 132: Forecast; 6473: Mathematical model; 1144: Operations (transp network); 173: Policy; 744: Public transport; 1181: Rapid transit system; 241: Tariff; 9084: Use
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; I10: Economics and Administration; I71: Traffic Theory; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00323353
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTP2204 Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 19 1981 12:00AM