COMMUNICATIONS WORKLOAD EVALUATION OF THE PROPOSED VESSEL TRAFFIC SERVICE IN NEW YORK HARBOR. CAORF TECHNICAL REPORT, SIMULATION EXPERIMENT
This report presents the results of Phase I Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) system experimentation at CAORF (Computer Aided Operations Facility, Kings Point, New York). VTS systems are designed to manage and monitor ship traffic while providing vessels in the area with continuously updated traffic information. This study investigated the communications workload experienced by pilots under the proposed New York VTS. Test runs were made with VTS activation, visibility, and communications breakdowns as variables. Limited visibility was found to be the most significant factor in generating a high level of radio use, with VTS activation also contributing to increased radio activity. Test pilots, in post run debriefings, generally felt that VTS communications were useful and not overly distracting or high in density. Suggestions for improving the VTS system were made, including recommendations that the number of Traffic Advisories be reduced and that precise vessel positioning information be received directly from the vessel in question rather than from the VTS Control Center.
National Maritime Research Center, Kings PointUnited States Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, NY United States 11024
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Nieri, D
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Communication systems; Control; Human factors engineering; Personnel performance; Radio; Ship simulators; Simulation; Traffic control; Traffic simulation; Very high frequency; Vessel traffic control
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Human performance; Simulated bridge control; Simulated traffic control; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00323328
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAORF 42-7909-01 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM