HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL PUMP TESTS
Three hydraulically powered submersible centrifugal pumps, the Framo TK-4, Framo TK-5 and Thune Eureka 150, were tested to document their performance in pumping viscous liquids. The tests were performed using an ADAPTS 40 HP prime mover or a NAVSEA 80 HP prime mover under controlled viscosity (temperature) and discharge pressure to simulate the various hazardous chemicals and long discharge lines expected during the offloading of stricken vessels. All three pumps performed adequately under the test conditons. In particular, the Framo TK-5 can provide a greater discharge flow rate than the Framo TK-4 under the same test conditions. The Framo TK-5 peformed well with the ADAPTS prime mover. Both the Framo TK-5 and the Thune-Eureka 150 pumps performed well with the NAVSEA prime mover. The NAVSEA prime mover has the capability to operate two Framo TK-5 pumps simultaneously. The results will be used to help in preparing procurement specifications for a Coast Guard hazardous chemical pumping system.
United States Coast GuardResearch and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT USA 06340-6096
- Rosenberg, S J
- Christensen, R F
- Publication Date: 1980-7-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Centrifugal pumps; Hazardous chemicals; Hydraulic equipment; Performance; Pumps; Viscous flow
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hydraulic machinery
- Old TRIS Terms: Pumping performance
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00323323
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: C-G-D-57-80 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM