COLLISION OF LIBERIAN TANKSHIP M/V PINA AND THE TOWBOAT MR. PETE AND ITS TOW MILE 99.3, LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER, DECEMBER 19, 1979. MARINE ACCIDENT REPORT
About 2058 c.s.t., on December 19, 1979, the tankship M/V PINA and the towboat M/V MR. PETE with its tow collided at about mile 99.3 in the Mississippi River, at New Orleans, Louisiana. On impact, slop oil from the No. 1 port wing tank of the PINA spilled into the river, ignited, and set fire to the port side of the PINA. Burning oil spilled on the MR. PETEs lead barge and contaminated some cargo. The PINA was maneuvered to the west bank of the river, where it collided with the barge ACO 121B. Burning oil also spilled on this barge and contaminated some of its cargo. The total damage, including oilspill cleanup, was estimated at $3,265,000. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the attempt of the unlicensed operator of the M/V MR. PETE to execute an improper starboard-to-starboard meeting with the M/V PINA, which resulted in the MR. PETE being navigated directly in the path of the approaching PINA. Contributing to the cause of this accident were the deficient visibility of the barge navigation lights and the failure of the operator of the MR. PETE and the pilot of the PINA to establish a passing agreement and to take timely action to slow or stop their vessels after repeated attempts to establish radio communications were unsuccessful.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Accident Investigation, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20594
- Publication Date: 1980-9-30
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Airline pilots; Collisions; Crash causes; Human error; Human factors in crashes; Inland waterways; Loss and damage; Maritime crashes; Ship collisions; Tankers; Towboats; Traffic regulations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rule of the road
- Old TRIS Terms: Inland waterways accidents; Ss mr. pete; Ss pina; Tanker collisions; Towboat collisions
- Subject Areas: Law; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00323322
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-MAR-80-17
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM