FIRE SAFETY OF LPG IN MARINE TRANSPORTATION
This report contains an analytical examination of cargo spill and fire hazard potential associated with the marine handling of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) as cargo. Principal emphasis was on cargo transfer operations for ships unloading at receiving terminals, and barges loading or unloading at a terminal. Major safety systems, including emergency shutdown systems, hazard detection systems, and fire extinguishment and control systems were included in the analysis. Spill probabilities were obtained from fault tree analyses utilizing composite LPG tank ship and barge designs. Failure rates for hardware in the analyses were generally taken from historical data on similar generic classes of hardware, there being very little historical data on the specific items involved. Potential consequences of cargo spills of various sizes are discussed and compared to actual LPG vapor cloud incidents. The usefulness of hazard mitigation systems (particularly dry chemical fire extinguishers and water spray systems) in controlling the hazards posed by LPG spills and spill fires is also discussed. The analysis estimates the probability of fatality for a terminal operator is about 10 to minus 6 power to 10 to minus 5 power per cargo transfer operation. The probability of fatality for the general public is substantially less.
Applied Technology Corporation401 West Main Street, Suite 220
Norman, OK United States 73069
- Martinsen, W E
- Johnson, D W
- Welker, J R
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 215 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment design; Fire detection systems; Fire extinguishing agents; Fire fighting equipment; Fires; Hazards; Liquefied gases; Liquefied petroleum gas; Safety; Spills (Pollution); Tankers; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fire hazards
- Old TRIS Terms: Lpg safety; Lpg transportation
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00323248
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: AC05-78EV06020
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 2003 12:00AM