IDENTIFICATION OF THE FIRE THREAT IN URBAN TRANSIT VEHICLES
This report presents the identification of the fire threat in urban transit vehicles. The study is based on site visits/surveys to nine representative U.S. transit properties, namely: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA); Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART); New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA); San Francisco Municipal Railway (MUNI); Southern California Rapid Transit District (RTD-Los Angeles); Denver Rapid Transit District (RTD-Denver); Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA); Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA); and Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). The data collected from the nine transit properties represented all bus and rail rapid transit fire and smoke incidents which occurred at those transit properties during the calendar year 1978. Data were obtained from daily logs, operator reports, accident reports, Police reports, and maintenance reports. These data are supplemented by fault tree diagrams and scenarios in identification of the fire threat. These are based on actual transportation fire and smoke incidents in TSC files, data analysis, interviews with transit personnel, and the use of maintenance manuals. Following a description of the TSC data acquisition methodology, the data are analyzed and discussed along with the relationship of the fault trees and scenarios to the identification of countermeasures.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/MA060051
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Hathaway, W T
- FLORES, A L
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Countermeasures; Data collection; Emergency vehicles; Fires; Protection; Public transit; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Public service vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00323147
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: MA-06-0051
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-005180-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM