A VALIDATION AND ANALYSIS OF SELECTION PROCEDURES FOR MALE AND FEMALE BUS OPERATORS
Two related but separate investigations were undertaken in the course of the present project. The first was a selection test validation study for female bus operators that utilized and built on the research findings and results of the original study entitled a "National Validation of a Selection Test Battery for Male Transit Operators." The second was a reanalysis of the results of this original study in order to investigate three specific procedures for the purpose of determining whether modifications could be made in the male operator test battery which would increase its validity or utility. The reanalysis of the results of the male bus operator battery validation addressed three specific issues, two of which had surfaced in the course of the implementation of the battery. They concern, respectively, the effect on training school performance of not including a cognitive test in the battery, and the effects of age on the applicants' test battery score. The third issue is a technical test construction one and concerns the possibility of increasing battery validity through use of a more vigorous response technique for one of the three instruments. The results of the reanalysis indicated that: (1) use of a more sophisticated response technique did not improve battery validity; (2) to have a significant effect on the selection of candidates, the cognitive test should not merely be included in the test battery but would have to be used as a separate "hurdle" in the selection progress. Under these circumstances its validity for training school results would have to be demonstrated; and, (3) age appeared to be a factor in performance since correction of test scores for age resulted in some loss of validity. On the basis of these results the male battery was left unchanged and the same tests used in both the male and female batteries. This replication of findings over a five-year time span with different employee samples attests to the basic stability and validity of the test battery for all bus operators.
- A companion/original report is National Validation of a Selection Test Battery for Male Transit Bus Operators (PB 283-709, A16).
University of ChicagoHuman Rescources Center, 1225 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL USA 60637
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Baehr, M E
- Penny III, R E
- Froemel, E C
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 139 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Bus drivers; Driver performance; Drivers; Driving tests; Gender; Human factors; Performance tests; Personnel performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver age
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00323140
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0011-80-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-289
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM