CANADIAN TRANSIT HANDBOOK
The twenty three chapters of this book are presented in five sections. The first section, Overview covers the history of transit and the general characteristics of the modes including the supporting way, vehicles, power supply, power distribution and control systems, and the different types of service provided. The second section-Demand-covers demand characteristics (spatial and temporal chracteristics and socioeconomic variables of transit users), surveys, and and demand models (urban transportation model system; trip rate, elasticity, and mode split models). The third section-Supply- discusses capacity (indicates design rates of flow that can be achieved with various technologies and types of services, costs (monetary costs associated with the provision of public transit as opposed to operating accounting costs, and a variety of measures of social costs), routes and networks, bus stops and terminals, and human factors in vehicle design. The fourth section-Operations-considers transportation systems management, the operation of a bus system, scheduling, monitoring and control, maintenance, fare policy and collection, marketing, and accounting. The fifth section-Institutional factors-considers labor relations, the organizational framework, the legal, institutional and financial framework, and techniques for modal conversion.
Toronto-York University Joint Program in Transportation4700 Keele Street, Room 430 Osgoode Hall
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3J 1P3
- Hazard, H A
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 767 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus stops; Costs; Demand; Electric power supply; Emergency vehicles; Fares; Intermodal terminals; Marketing; Mathematical models; Modal split; Public transit; Scheduling; Supply; Surveys; Travel demand; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Capacity; Models; Supply and demand
- Old TRIS Terms: Public service vehicles; User characteristics
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00322900
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 19 1981 12:00AM