LOWER MANHATTAN TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT STUDY
This study develops a transportation management plan to assign street use priorities, lessen pedestrian/vehicular conflicts and identify low capital cost improvements to implement the plan. The plan provides for improved pedestrian and vehicular circulation, more efficient surface transit operations, increases pedestrian and vehicular safety, more efficient goods movement and delivery access, improved access to mass transit, increased pedestrian space and reduced air pollution levels. The overall vehicular traffic flow plan involves the creation of traffic cells in the assignment of direction and classification to the streets. In addition to the overall circulation plan, specific components of the circulation system were investigated. The latter investigation led to the development of recommendations and the identification of improvements which could be implemented. An implementation schedule was developed, capital costs were estimated, and possible funding sources were identified.
- Prepared for and submitted to the New York City Departments of City Planning and Transportation and the Mayor's Office of Development.
Vollmer Associates LLP57 Regional Drive
Concord, NH United States 03301
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Administration; Freight traffic; Highway operations; Improvements; Pedestrians; Public transit; Strategic planning; Streets; Traffic; Traffic control; Traffic flow; Traffic safety; Transportation operations; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: New York (New York)
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Public Transportation; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00322702
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0034 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1982 12:00AM