DUAL MODE PLANNING CASE STUDY, ORANGE COUNTY. VOLUME 1: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND PLANNING ANALYSIS
These volumes document two separate planning case studies examining the feasibility of dual mode transit systems in 1) Orange County, California, and 2) Milwaukee, Wisconsin (UMTA-MA-06-0056-80-1/80-3). The main objective of this case study was to provide feedback to dual mode system design efforts. Before dual mode system development proceeds to large-scale demonstration and testing, cost, performance, and demand relationships need to be investigated analytically so that efficient design characteristics and operating regimes can be prescribed. The study incorporated a full-fledged technical planning analysis in a real urban area assuming that the required dual mode vehicles and control systems were available. The analysis differed from a conventional planning study, however, in that performance, cost, and demand characteristics are not fixed but variable. Supply and demand relationships are parameterized so that the impacts of variations in factors such as access/egress time, guideway speed, headways, fare level, vehicle size, etc., can be determined. The analysis led to a rich array of supply-demand-cost interrelationships useful to system evaluation and design. A secondary objective of the study was to produce a documented planning methodology in a "how-to" vein which will be transferrable to others. The parametric analysis methodology developed incorporated a simplified demand estimation procedure and a comprehensive cost model for estimating capital, operating, and user time costs in response to incremental parameter variations over user specified ranges. The methodology and results are presented and conclusions are discussed in Volume 1. In Volume 2, the methodology and selected results are presented in detail. (UMTA)
- Dual Mode Planning Case Study, Orange County. Volume 2: Methodology (UMTA-VA-06-0030-80-2).
Voorhees (Alan M) and Associates, IncorporatedCambridge, MA United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Costinett, P
- Hansen, W G
- O'Doherty, J
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 211 p.
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Costs; Demand; Design; Dual mode transportation systems; Feasibility analysis; Methodology; Supply; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Supply and demand
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00322280
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-VA-0030-80-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-40029
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM