EVALUATION OF GEOPHYSICAL METHODS FOR CAVITY DETECTION AT THE WES CAVITY TEST FACILITY
The study was undertaken to plan and construct a controlled Cavity Test Facility for use in preliminary evaluation of geophysical methods as cavity location or delineation tools and to evaluate several geophysical techniques to determine whether signatures could be obtained that would help to either locate a cavity or, once located, to determine its size, depth, or shape in plan view. Seismic studies conducted at the Cavity Test Site consisted of surface compression-(P-) wave refraction surveys, crosshole shear- (S-) wave surveys, shallow seismic reflection surveys, "Meissner wave-front" surveys, and a sonar investigation. Results for each of these studies are given. Surface resistivity surveys were also made, including the following methods: Modified Bristow or Bristow-Bates, Wenner profiling, Schlumberger sounding, and dipole-dipole. Subsurface resistivity tests were also accomplished. Radar tests using three different radar systems--a 4.2-GHz continuous wave-frequency modulated (CW-FM) system, a 100-Hz pulse radar system, and a 300-MHz pulse radar system--were also performed at the Cavity Test Facility. The test results were mostly negative. Seismic reflection records and data sheets for Bristow-Bates surveys are presented in appendixes.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
- Butler, D K
- Murphy, W L
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 134 p.
- TRT Terms: Cavitation (Mechanics); Detection and identification; Detectors; Geological surveying; Geophysics; Measurement; Radar; Refraction; Resistivity method; Seismicity; Sonar; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Seismic refraction
- Old TRIS Terms: Geophysical measurements; Subsurface explorations
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; I41: General Soil Surveys;
- Accession Number: 00322266
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Tech Rpt. GL-80-4 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM