MANAGING RAILROAD CAR DISTRIBUTION
After a study of car distribution, Task Force 5 recommended the following changes to achieve improvement within the industry: (1) An interdepartmental planning effort should be initiated to create and implement a corporate car use plan; (2) Car distribution should itself implement a "bottom-up" car use plan; (3) Empty car supply forecasting procedures should be adopted; (4) Collection of car order data should be formalized and centralized; (5) New approaches to short-term fleet-sizing decisions should be adopted; (6) Use of manually prepared directives should be supported by formal flow-rule planning.
- Phase II, Task Force 5.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car service rules; Car utilization (Railroads); Fleet management; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Management; Management information systems; Planning; Traffic forecasting; Traffic managers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Old TRIS Terms: Empty cars; Fleet planning; Management planning; Train ii
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00322191
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-414 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 19 1980 12:00AM