THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN POWER AVAILABILITY AND FREIGHT CAR UTILIZATION. STUDIES IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS AND ECONOMICS. VOLUME 30
Power availability and the strategy for using power in rail operations are key determinants of freight car utilization and service reliability. Increasing power availability will reduce delays in assembling and departing trains, reduce tonnage left behind because of tonnage constraints, and relieve congestion. This report presents a framework for balancing the costs of power availability against the costs of poor service and utilization. Both power availability and power requirements can be expressed in terms of gross ton-miles per unit time. Power availability can be related to the number of locomotives, the serviceability ratio, horsepower/ton requirements, and productivity measures, while power requirements can be related to traffic flows, the physical network, and the operating/service plan. As power requirements increase relative to power availability, service deteriorates, as illustrated in a study of system performance for a major railroad. Successful power management recognizes this relationship in adjusting the appropriate elements of power availability of the operating/service plan and of power requirements as traffic flows fluctuate.
- Phase II, Task Force 2.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCenter for Transportation Studies, Room 1121
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Mao, C K
- Martland, C D
- Sussman, J M
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Fleet management; Freight service; Locomotive utilization; Management; Network analysis (Planning); Operating costs; Planning; Productivity; Quality of service; Tonnage ratings; Traffic delays; Train operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Train delays
- Old TRIS Terms: Fleet planning; Locomotive availability; Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00322188
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CTS-80-4 Final Rpt., AAR R-413
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 19 1980 12:00AM