IMPROVING RAILROAD TERMINAL CONTROL SYSTEMS: A CASE STUDY OF SOUTHERN RAILWAY'S BROSNAN YARD. STUDIES IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS AND ECONOMICS. VOLUME 28
This study shows that a terminal control system that includes a volume variable car cost budget based on flexible connection standards can be incorporated within an existing terminal control system. Although the implementation of such a control system may require major modifications to the existing management process, there are few significant modifications to the management information system. By adopting such a control system, a railroad would have the capability to monitor and control service reliability and car utilization in terminals. In addition, the operating officers of the railroad would be given the ability to evaluate the terminal superintendent in an equitable manner because the expected performance of the yard changes to reflect the environment within which the yard is operating. This report also includes a brief survey of the state of the art of railroad terminal control systems. The survey's results show that at the terminal level, most railroads budget only crew costs and place less emphasis on car cost. In addition to describing Southern's existing terminal control system in detail, this work shows how existing reports can be modified to incorporate the flexible connection standards described above. Since Southern did not previously control car cost at the terminal, a series of new reports aimed specifically at monitoring car cost is proposed.
- Task Force II, Phase 2.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCenter for Transportation Studies, Room 1121
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Ferguson, W L
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 167 p.
- TRT Terms: Blocking; Budgeting; Car utilization (Railroads); Classification yards; Contract rates; Control systems; Freight service; Management information systems; Operating costs; Quality of service; Quality of work; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Southern Railway
- Uncontrolled Terms: Per diem
- Geographic Terms: Georgia
- Old TRIS Terms: Preblocking; Yard and terminal control; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00322187
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CTS-80-2 Final Rpt., AAR R-412
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 19 1980 12:00AM