ALTERNATIVES FOR IMPROVING FREIGHT CAR MANAGEMENT
This report describes and evaluates car management alternatives and recommends that railroads pursue those which they find most promising and compatible with their particular circumstances and management style. To create effective car management, railroads should: Explicitly incorporate freight car productivity into corporate strategy; develop car productivity goals and objectives for each management function; designate a group (newly created or one already existing) to be responsible for car management; create interfunctional coordinations mechanisms; and install the information systems needed to plan and control car related decisions and their outcomes.
- Phase II, Task Force 1.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car operations (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Fleet management; Freight cars; Management; Management information systems; Planning; Pricing; Productivity; Profitability; Vehicle maintenance
- Old TRIS Terms: Car cycles; Empty cars; Fleet planning; Freight car maintenance; Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00322184
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-426 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM