PHASE 17 REPORT ON STUDY OF CLASS 105A TANK CARS (CAR POPULATION AND ACCIDENT DATA ANALYSIS)
The overall objective of the RPI/AAR Phase 17 Study is to assess the safety of 105A cars and develop recommendations to improve their safety where justified. Most of the activities are being carried out in cooperation with the FRA. In the first phase of the study, car population data and accident data have been collected. The second phase which is just beginning, involves the mechanical impact and fire testing of various 105A constructions. This report is a data display report giving the results of the car population and accident survey. The test phase plan also is presented in this report, but the test results will be given later. This report specifically gives a breakdown of 105A car populations as of 11/1/79 by class of car and commodity. In addition, estimates of both the 105A and 112A(114A) car populations are given for the 14 and one-half year period 1965-mid 1979. Accident data for both classes of cars also are given for the same period. These accident data are then normalized on the basis of car population, the results being fairly quantitative measures of car performance. The results show that all 105A cars taken as a group behave significantly better than 112A(114A) cars. Class 105A500W chlorine cars are particularly good, whereas 105A200W cars in VCM service and cars carrying ethylene oxide behave relatively poorly.
- An RPI-AAR Railroad Tank Car Safety Research and Test Project.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Phillips, E
- ROLE, H
- Publication Date: 1980-2-22
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Chlorine; Crash analysis; Data collection; Hazardous materials; Insulation systems; Protective coatings; Railroad cars; Railroad safety; Risk analysis; Tank cars; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Insulated cars; Tank car design; Tank car safety
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00322180
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RA-17-1-43 Res Rpt., AAR R-433
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM