RAIL TERMINAL SEQUENCING SYSTEM. STAGE 1 FEASIBILITY REPORT
The objective of the Terminal Sequencing System is to provide yard operating personnel with an effective tool for evaluating processing alternatives, thereby extending their planning horizon. While the system will generate suggested processing sequences, terminal management will retain ultimate control and will rely upon their railroad experience as the final determinant. Based on the availability of data and compatibility with operating conditions, the Louisville and Nashville Strawberry Yard is capable of using the Terminal Sequencing System (TSS). A review of operating practices at Strawberry Yard shows a need to emphasize system-wide management objectives in the tactical decision-making process. Because TSS will have system-wide and local yard objectives built into its logic, it will be able to consider many more of the factors influencing the sequencing process than manual evaluation could. Yard personnel have identified decision criteria currently used for determining hump sequences. Factors which should be considered in the TSS and which may not be considered adequately at present include system-wide objectives such as on-time performance, service reliability, and increased freight car utilization. Tactical planning processes appear to be on a one-train-at-a-time basis, which reduces the planning horizon to little more than 6 to 8 hours on the average.
- AAR's Freight Car Utilization Program, Task Force 2. Prepared in cooperation with Cybernetics and Systems, Incorporated.
Deloitte Haskins & Sells1101 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20005
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Car utilization (Railroads); Hump yards; Inventory; Operations; Planning; Railroad yards; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Louisville & Nashville Railroad
- Old TRIS Terms: Operations planning; Yard automatic control; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00322178
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-771-5279
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM