WORKING OUT OPTIMAL FREIGHT TRAIN MAKE-UP PLAN ON ELECTRONIC COMPUTER AND DISTRIBUTION OF CLASSIFICATION WORK ON LARGE RAILWAY NETWORK
The rational organization of freight train traffic requires the solution of two problems, namely, determination of the routes of the car traffic and the order of including cars into trains of different destinations. The routes of freight car traffic established from a number of considerations cannot be constructed in a computer on the basis of the principle of the shortest (most advantageous) route. It is therefore necessary to provide additional information characterizing the deviations from the optimal routes. The volume of classification work and the time spent by cars waiting for the accumulation of trains depend on the order of combining cars into trains (the train make-up plan). The reduction of the cost of this classification work and car detention to a minimum is connected with the solution of a problem of integer linear programming with many thousand unknowns. An effective solution of the problem is achieved by methods of improving the plan and searching for a better one. It is shown that the calculations can be reduced considerably if account is taken of certain features of the problem being solved. The program worked out according to the proposed method ensures the conducting of calculations for a railway network with hundreds of classification yards.
- Presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the October 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Duvalyan, S V
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Freight service; Information systems; Operations; Planning; Railroad trains; Railroads
- Geographic Terms: Former Soviet Union
- Old TRIS Terms: Operations planning; Train planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053816
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM