FS PROGRAMS AND TRAILS WITH THE AUTOMATIC OPERATION OF LINES AND MARSHALLING YARDS
The great difficulties in the operation of certain lines, especially in the case of freight traffic, arising, among other things, from the introduction of high speeds and from increasing suburban traffic, makes it necessary to take action on a large scale in the "installation" and "control" sectors. The adoption of modern electric signal boxes and of automatic block has given really positive results, particularly on the Bologna-Milan line where two-way running has been introduced. On the basis of the absolutely satisfactory experience with the installation of centralized control in the Bologna railway complex more than 15 years ago, we are continuing in the same direction with a similar installation at Bologna-Prato, which has very heavy traffic, with remotely controlled two-way operation, for which advanced techniques are envisaged. In addition, it was decided to carry out two trials with the application of automatic processing in real time for solving problems of control which, in 3 years' time, should provide definite choices with a view to a program including the main Milan-Naples trunk route, with an initial four-track section between Rome and Florence and the principal complexes. Also, as regards marshalling, large installations have been approved and are in the course of implementation with the object of automating the whole marshalling cycle. The first installation to come into operation is that at Milan-Smistamento. A final evaluation is not possible for the present, even if the initial results are positive. On the basis of the initial achievements, new techniques have already been adopted as a valid means of solving traffic problems. However, it is first necessary to verify carefully the technical and economic limits of their use.
- Presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Liverani, A
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Centralized traffic control; Control systems; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Signaling
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato
- Old TRIS Terms: Yard and terminal control
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00053808
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM