OPERATIVE PLANNING OF OPERATION OF RAILWAY TERMINALS AND CLASSIFICATION YARD AT A RAILWAY COMPUTER CENTER. TECHNOLOGY, MATHEMATICAL BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE GAINED
On the USSR railways operative (for several hours) plans of train and classification work for large classification yards are drawn up on electronic machines of the railway computer centers. The large-scale introduction of the calculations was ensured by a unified information supply system (codes of yards, commodities, consignees, etc.), a standard method for solving the problem and a standard mathematical background for its realization on computers. To take into consideration the technological features of separate yards, the problem is divided into a number of autonomous parts (modules). For each module several variants of the solution are worked out. A plan of yard operation includes the following tables: (1) the expected approached of trains with recommendations on the sequence of receiving the trains at the yard; (2) data on the distribution of the cars in the arriving trains by destinations made up at the yard with recommendations on the sequence of train humping; (3) the expected number of locomotives and locomotive crews for trains to be dispatched; and (4) a plan of completion of the accumulation of trains and of train departure. The use of the results of these calculations makes it possible to improve the organization of yard operation and to reduce the average detention of cars at yards by 0.5 hour.
- Presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Buyanov, B A
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer models; Computers; Control systems; Information systems; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Railroads; Technology
- Geographic Terms: Former Soviet Union; Russia (Federation)
- Old TRIS Terms: Yard and terminal control
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00053807
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM