YACS (YARD AUTOMATIC CONTROL SYSTEM)
JNR has two automated yards: Koriyama (1968) and Takasaki (1970). Two others are under construction: the Shiohama Yard of the linear motor type and the Musashino Yard of the target-shooting type. In this paper, YACS to be applied at the Musashino Yard will be first dealt with. The system will incorporate both a data processing system for planning automation and a route control system to set all the routes automatically in the yard. The former consists of four sub-systems: "Operation Planning" under which the work schedule is automatically drawn up, "Change Processing" under which changes are initiated whenever a change takes place, "Operation Confirmation" for control by computers over the progress of operations, and "Information Control" under which data required for yard operations are provided. The latter will incorporate three sub-systems: "Route Control of Humped Freight Cars", "Yard Shunting Route Control", and "Route Control of Arriving and Departing Trains". The particulars of each of the above-mentioned sub-systems are fully explained in this paper. Next, the characteristics of the freight car control in each yard (target-shooting, hydraulic unit, and linear motor types) are explained and compared. Finally, this paper outlines the computers and the operating system in each yard.
- Presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- FUKUI, T
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Control systems; Hump yards; Information systems; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards
- Identifier Terms: Nihon kokuyu tetsudo
- Old TRIS Terms: Yard and terminal control
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00053803
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM