THE FS INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR THE COMMERCIAL MANAGEMENT OF FREIGHT TRAFFIC
The teleprocessing of freight traffic is provided for in the FS electronic data processing system. The central electronic equipment for this application will consist of a Honeywell 6050 "dual processing" computer with a central unit of store capacity corresponding to 160 K alphanumerical characters, linked to peripheral units (card reader-printers-magnetic tape and disc units). One hundred and twenty peripheral points installed at 80 Accounting and Charging Centres spread throughout the Railways will be connected to the Centre. The system carries out in real time: 1) the telecharging of carriage forward consignments in domestic and international traffic; 2) the checking of the amounts calculated by the Accounting and Charging Centres for carriage paid consignments; the teleprocessing of accounting operations at stations; the teleinvoicing of deferred payment consignments; the integration of checks and accounts in conjunction with the FS Electronic Centre for the "Vehicle Running Control". The system supplies regularly operating and operational control returns, and carries out, at the same time, freight accounting for the various Railways concerned in the consignments. The paper explains the organisation of the new application, the configuration of the system, its basic functions, the structure envisaged for the records, and the logic of the processing operations.
- Presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the November-December 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Carbone, M
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Information systems; Network analysis (Planning); Transportation; Transportation planning
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00053802
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1974 12:00AM