THE FS INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR THE OPERATIONAL CONTROL OF FREIGHT TRAFFIC
The FS have decided to instal, during the 1973/75 period, an operating system to meet the need for information required for long, medium and short term decisions. The effort has been directed at achieving a system capable of acquiring information within the desired time, in a reliable manner and without omissions. With this in mind much attention has been given to the peripheral organization for the acquisition and transmission of the data, to the definition of the most suitable hardware and software redundancies from the economic point of view, to the definition and checking of the input data, to the training of station staff to be used at the terminal points, and to defining the programme concerning the gradual installation of the system over the whole Railway. It is anticipated that after 1975, it will be absolutely necessary to improve the system, particularly as regards data which is partly necessary for long and average term decisions. It is expected that during the nineteen eighties the development of the system will influence, and will itself be influenced by the solutions to certain operating problems now being studied, as follows: automatic scanning of vehicle registration numbers; automation of the largest marshalling yards, etc.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the November-December, 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Burgio, A
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer models; Computer programs; Computers; Freight service; Information systems
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053794
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM