CONCEPT AND APPLICATION OF THE INTEGRATED SYSTEM OF CENTRALIZED MANAGEMENT OF FREIGHT TRAFFIC ON THE FRENCH NATIONAL RAILWAYS (SNCF)
In his statement, the author begins by presenting the "Centralized Management of Freight Traffic" on the SNCF, and decribes an actual example: that of the first wagon which was chosen in May, 1971 by the computer to be dispatched for "Periodic Overhaul". This firm example makes it possible to describe how the various problems arising on the railway with the loading of wagons are dealt with, and to demonstrate the essential characteristics of this organization. It is of a very integrated nature, the same data acquisition being used successively for the following requirements: accounting, operating, stock control and statistics. A preliminary reorganization begun in 1956 enabled the methods to be reviewed and standardized. Three phases of progressive implementation were planned, each concerned the whole of the SNCF, and the last two were preceded by tests of limited geographical scope. The quality of input is very advanced, particularly due to the use of key digits wherever possible. Due to the fact that systematic attention was paid to the fact that only profitable organizations were introduced, it was possible to effect savings to the extent of 3000 staff, in addition to all the other advantages normally resulting from the existence of an automated system.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Plantureux, J
- Henri, R
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Information systems
- Identifier Terms: Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053790
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM