PENN CENTRAL TRANSPORTATION AND WAYBILLING SYSTEM
Penn Central's transportation and waybilling system (TABS) focuses on the solution of a data gathering problem which is primarily business oriented and secondarily, transportation oriented. The two essential functions of car reporting and billing of customers for services rendered are critical to the operation of a railroad system. Both of these functions are initiated by the origination of a freight waybill which is the legal contract for supplying transportation services. The system design criteria of TABS formulates methods of obtaining control of the waybill information describing the services to be rendered and provides this information to responsible management who must conduct the operation of the railroad system.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Sims, M D
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Freight service; Information systems; Waybills
- Identifier Terms: Penn Central Transportation Company
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053785
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM