OPTIMIZATION OF THE CENTRALIZED MANAGEMENT OF FREIGHT TRAFFIC IN INDIVIDUAL WAGONS. UIC-METRA STUDY
In 1966, the UIC Committee of Chief Operations Managers decided, with the assistance of an external research office (METRA INTERNATIONAL), to order a thorough study of the possibilities afforded by Operational Research for the optimization of the management of freight traffic in individual wagons. The initial phase revealed the need for dividing the system studied into a certain number of more manageable sub-systems; a plan of action describing the connection and sequence of these subsystems has been prepared, and the various processing expedients necessary have been defined. In the second phase, the construction and perfecting of the various processing expedients were undertaken, and covered: a marshalling yard simulation model; an analytical model for the optimization of the transport system; a general simulation model representing the inter-yard network; an analytical model for the optimization of the distribution of empty wagons between zones. In each case, the model was applied to a firm problem, in order to verify its validity and controllability. This paper describes the various models and gives the results obtained. These latter show that operating problems concerning the forwarding of individual wagons can be dealt with using modern expedients such as computer-based models. The paper concludes with certain considerations regarding the advantages and disadvantages presented by the joint study of such problems and recourse to an outside firm.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Revol, B
- Gochet, M
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Computer models; Computers; Freight handling; Freight service; Information systems; Management information systems; Mathematical models; Operations research; Railroad yards; Simulation
- Identifier Terms: International Union of Railways; Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer Belges
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight operations
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00053779
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM