ULTIMATE STRENGTH OF SHIP HULL GIRDERS UNDER MOMENT, SHEAR AND TORQUE
A method is described for the determination of the behavior and ultimate strength of longitudinally stiffened ship hull girder segments of rectangular single-cell cross section, subjected to bending, shear and torque. The basic requirement of the method is to maintain the compatibility of deformations between the individual nonlinear components of the cross section. The compression flange is assumed to be formed from identical beam-columns each consisting of a plate-stiffener combination; residual stresses and pre- and post-buckling behavior of the plate, as well as, large deformations and plastification of the stiffener, are all taken into account. The tension flange is assumed to be elastic-plastic. The webs (sides) are analyzed by a multiple tension-field approach which considers redistribution of normal and shearing stresses between the plate subpanels. It is assumed in the method that a section plane before deformations remains plane after deformations (Navier-Bernoulli) and that shearing stresses in flanges have no effect on deformations or conditions of buckling or yielding. A comparison of the method with the results of two tests on a small hull girder specimen showed that the method is acceptably accurate for the loading case of moment and shear (symmetrical loads) but should be modified for the general loading case of moment, shear and torque (unsymmetrical loads) to include the effect of warping deformations (deplanation) of the cross section.
Lehigh UniversityFritz Engineering Laboratory
Bethlehem, PA United States 18015
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ostapenko, A
- Vaucher, A
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Bending moments; Buckling; Deformation; Hulls; Longitudinal strength; Mechanical tests; Plates (Engineering); Shear stress; Stresses; Structural analysis; Torque; Web stiffened structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Destructive testing
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull bending moments; Hull girder stresses; Hull structural analysis; Plate deformation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00319842
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-940-80077 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-79-SAC-B0019
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 27 1980 12:00AM