THE DISTRIBUTION OF EMPTY WAGONS BY MEANS OF COMPUTER. AN ANALYTICAL MODEL OF THE SWISS FEDERAL RAILWAYS
In order to improve the manual method of distributing empty goods wagons, the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB), in co-operation with a firm of consultants, have developed a mathematical model aimed at maximising demand satisfaction and minimising shunting operations and empty wagon kilometrage. In this model, all the important types of wagons, all possibilities of substitution and all the other limiting conditions are taken into account. A comparison with the manual distribution method shows that the computer programme is able to achieve better results throughout; this applies, in particular, to the greater satisfaction of demands. Memory capacity and computer times are such that the model can be used daily (even more than once) in practical operation. In this way, the model becomes part of an integrated goods traffic control and information system at present being developed. The objectives of the new method, the concept of the chosen solution and the mathematical model are explained. It is also shown what results have been achieved and how far the work for the practical application of the model has progressed. As far as is known, this is one of the few, if not the only, wholly mathematical solution designed to optimate the problem of goods wagon distribution.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the October 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Herren, H
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Computer models; Computer programs; Computers; Freight service; Information systems; Mathematical models; Simulation
- Identifier Terms: Schweizerische Bundesbahnen
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053776
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM