PROFITABILITY ANALYSIS OF TRAFFIC (PAT) ON THE ST. LOUIS- SAN FRANCISCO RAILWAY COMPANY
The primary objective of this computer system is to measure the profitability of all carload and TOFC linehaul traffic handled by the Frisco system. It utilizes data from a number of computer systems, including revenue data from the Revenue Accounting System, operating and equipment data from the Frisco Management Information and Control System NMICS), equipment utilization and cost data from the Equipment Accounting System, and cost data from the Cost Accounting System. Costing is unique, as the system links actual physical activities and equipment requirements to each carload or trailerload of freight handled. For example, each load costed reflects the actual. a) empty return ratio; b) equipment turnaround; c) Frisco liability for equipment hire; d) linehaul costs for actual route moved, including backhauls and out-of-route moves; e) switching costs, by terminal and function; f) TOFC terminal costs, by terminal and function; g) tare weights of equipment; and h) net weight of contents. After processing to determine profitability, all data is stored on magnetic tape. Users can secure an analysis of any traffic movement, defined as broadly or as narrowly as desired. Primary uses are in pricing decisions, analysis of equipment utilization and profitability, and meeting information requirements in regulatory proceedings. Concept, design, and development of the system were entirely by Frisco Railway personnel. The system was implemented late in 1972.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the October 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Bacon, B D
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Accounting; Car distribution (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Computers; Costs; Freight service; Information systems; Intermodal transportation; Piggyback transportation; Profitability
- Identifier Terms: St. Louis-San Francisco Railway
- Old TRIS Terms: Profitability measurement
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053769
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM