THEORETICAL PREDICTION OF TEST VARIABLE EFFECTS, INCLUDING TWIN-ROLLS ON ROLLING RESISTANCE
A Deflected Tire/Rolling Resistance computer model to simulate free-rolling of a belted radial automobile tire against a flat surface is reviewed. The contact conditions are then extended to include rolling against a test wheel, and the effects of load, deflection, inflation pressure, and test-wheel curvature are investigated. The analyses are restricted to isothermal conditions at 25 degrees C. Both the tire force cycles and their contribution to rolling resistance are examined. The investigation concludes with an analysis of free-rolling against twin-rolls, predicting gross distortion of flat-surface and conventional test-wheel results.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Klingbeil, W W
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Curvature; Deflection; Inflation; Loads; Pressure; Radial ply tires; Rolling; Rolling contact; Simulation
- Old TRIS Terms: Radial tires; Resistance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00319738
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800088
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1980 12:00AM