FREIGHT MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM (SIMULATION MODEL)
Of late, JNR has developed a simulation model for the prediction and evaluation of freight management policies with a view to helping the decision-making of top management. Taking into account the national economic trends and conditions of JNR's competition with other means of transport, the model forecasts JNR freight transport demand and calculates revenues and expenditures, and thus, consistent processes are modelized. It is so arranged that various proposed policies can be taken up in the process for comparison as to their effect on revenues and expenditures. The features of this model are as follows: 1) Management policies like the following can be evaluated: (a) service requirements such as tariff rates and train speed; (b) buildup of through train service system; (c) closure of small stations and improvement of base stations; (d) planning for installation and labour saving investments. 2) The modelizing of JNR's internal resources was carried out with them classified in detail. In particular, transportation problems are grasped in the context of a railway network very much like the actual routes so that the inter-region freight flow can be adequately traced. The effects of policies, therefore, can be estimated by region, commodity item and kind of train and they can be consequently evaluated. 3) In order to make it easy to produce such a complex model as is peculiar to transportation problems, a simulation control program with special language for wide application has been developed and under this the simulation performed. It can thus be said that the way is now open for development of a comprehensive model covering all aspects of JNR management.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the November-December, 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Kambayashi, K
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer models; Computers; Freight service; Information systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053767
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1996 12:00AM