LONG RANGE PLANNING MODEL
The Corporate Planning System was developed to provide Southern Pacific Company management the financial consequences of its long-range plans. From forecasts of revenues, expenses, and capital expenditures, CPS furnishes statements over fifteen annual periods of: Summary of Income and Cash Flow, Balance Sheet, Net Income, Cash Flow, Income Taxes and Relevant Financial Measures. Depreciation, taxes, interest, financial ratios and other calculations are automatically handled by the program. An important option enables the user to specify the desired end-of-year cash position from which the model then determines the amounts of financing required by an "automatic financing" algorithm. CPS is executed in a time-sharing mode. It consists of two models -- a subsidiary model and a consolidation model. After individual subsidiary companies have generated a final plan, they authorize it to be accessed by the consolidation model, which furnishes consolidated results for any desired combinations of subsidiaries. The system evolved over a two-year period, with successive phases being identified through use by the Executive Department of Southern Pacific Company. It is written in FORTRAN IV, level G with the subsidiary model requiring 384K of core on an IBM 360/67 with approximately 5000 executable statements, and the consolidation model requiring 312K and having 3000 executable statements.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the November-December, 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Nines, C B
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer models; Computers; Information systems; Long range planning; Network analysis (Planning); Transportation; Transportation planning
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00053766
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM