USE OF CYBERNETICS FOR ORGANISATION OF FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION, AND A COMPLEX AUTOMATED SYSTEM OF RAILWAY TRANSPORT CONTROL IN THE USSR
On the USSR railways electronic computers at the computer centers of the 26 railways and the Ministry of Railway Transport are used to solve a considerable number of production problems, namely, long-term and operative planning of the transportation process, engineering, economical, statistical and book-keeping problems. At present the first stage of a complex automated system of railway control is being completed. It consists in the introduction of cybernetic methods and electronic computers for solving the most important problems on all the railways according to single typical methods and machine programs with integral processing of the main documents. The automated system of railway control includes 19 functional subsystems carrying out definite control functions, including technical and economical planning of the operation and development of the railways, control of the transportation process, commercial operations, the operation, maintenance and repair of locomotives, cars and of the railway track, accounting and statistical reports, purchases and stores, and control of the personnel. All the tasks of every functional subsystem are considered as mutually related within it and with the interacting tasks of the other subsystems, a common data file being created at each level of the automated system of railway control. When introducing a system of reading information from moving rolling stock, the main part of the data file of a railway computer center should be formed by a dynamic model of the transportation process with detailing up to every car and, possibly, consignment. To ensure functioning of the automated system of railway control, a three-level complex of equipment is created consisting of a main computer center (ministry level), the railway and the terminal centers connected by a data transmission network, and also the corresponding information and mathematical base.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the October, 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Petrov, A P
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Car distribution (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Computers; Control systems; Freight service; Information systems; Railroads; Transportation
- Geographic Terms: Former Soviet Union
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation control systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00053765
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM