FS TRIALS AND PROGRAMS IN CONNECTION WITH THE APPLICATION OF CYBERNETICS TECHNIQUES FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF FREIGHT TRAFFIC
Although at the three previous symposiums the FS presented no description of firm applications, they have nevertheless attached very great importance to the application of cybernetics techniques. For ten years the FS have been engaged in a vast reorganisation exercise in connection with electronic development. This activity is concentrated in the "Electronic development plan" which extends up to 1977 and is designed to achieve a modern system of information based on the following six sub-systems: passenger control; freight customer control; staff control; rolling stock control; workshop control; stock control. The "Plan" gives special attention to the results of the trials undertaken on other Railways discussed at previous symposiums, also the exchanges of information which have taken place at the UIC Building between the information processing specialists of various Railways. A general description of the "Plan" and of the results envisaged are given with particular reference to the way in which the system can help in solving freight traffic problems by integrating: the transport demand and the availability of the resources. The investment statement is discussed from the point of view of possible management savings but, in particular, from that of the influence on customers, with an increasing transport demand in mind.
- Presented at Fourth International Symposium on Railroad Cybernetics, AAR/UIC/IRCA, 21-26 April 1974, Washington, D.C. This paper was also published in the November-December, 1973 issue of Rail International, which is available from E.S.L.
International Union of Railways14 rue Jean Rey
75015 Paris, France
- Rindi, B
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Computers; Freight service; Information systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053763
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 17 1974 12:00AM