GROUND VIBRATIONS FROM IMPACT PILE DRIVING DURING ROAD CONSTRUCTION VOLS 1 & 2
This report describes measurements at seven sites of ground vibrations generated by impact pile driving during road construction operations. Vibrations from driven steel case piling, driven and cast-in-place displacement piling and linked sheet steel piling were monitored. Measurements were carried out to determine the relative magnitudes of the vibration components, the main frequency of the surface waves and the velocity levels of the ground vibration. Relations were established between the vertical velocity level and the distance between source and receiver for four sheet piling operations. Floor vibration levels in buildings adjacent to piling activities were measured, and an assessment of the likely effects of impact pile driving was made using criteria proposed elsewhere for architectural damage and human disturbance.(a) (TRRL) to date forms part of the initial or feasibility stage in A rational, hierarchical process. In addition to further demonstrating the scope of such terrain analysis techniques and their uses to the needs of, e.g., engineers and planners, this study attempts to illustrate the fact that such techniques may be conducted quite rapidly at A feasibility type level using the minimum of personnel and resources.
Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom
- Martin, D J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Building; Cast in place concrete; Frequency (Electromagnetism); Impacts; Loss and damage; Measurement; Methodology; Pile driving; Piles (Supports); Road construction; Sheet piling; Structures; Velocity; Vibration
- Old TRIS Terms: Disturbances
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Highways; I50: Construction and Supervision of Construction;
- Accession Number: 00319262
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: TRRL SR 544 Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM