POLYMER COATINGS FOR CORRUGATED STEEL PIPE
Polymer-coated culverts were first installed in New York State in late 1977. Two different products were used--"Nexon," manufactured by the United States Steel Corporation, and "Beth-Cu-Loy PC," produced by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Shortly after installation, several Nexon-coated pipes showed signs of abrasion. This study was initiated to determine the causes of this early failure, and to provide the Department with guidelines for future use of polymer coatings. Included is a summary of site conditions at each of 71 culverts, together with results of a condition survey conducted in 1978. No conclusions have been drawn at this time. Future surveys will monitor long-term performance of these culverts. A survey of other state agencies using polymer coatings is also presented. (FHWA)
- Prepared in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, Department of Transportation. Study Title: "Polymer Coatings for Corrugated Steel Pipe."
Albany, NY USA 12232
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Pyskadlo, R M
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Abrasions; Coatings; Corrugated pipe; Corrugated pipe culverts; Metal pipe; Polymers; Steel pipe; Surveying; Surveying
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00319118
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-NY-SR-79-64 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1980 12:00AM