PROPELLER GEOMETRY FOR DESIGN, PRODUCTION, INTEGRATION AND QUALITY CONTROL
An elaborate description of propeller geometry is not required during propeller design and analysis, but it is an essential requirement during propeller manufacturing and propeller inspection. If the pattern for propeller casting is made by an experienced pattern maker, and if the propeller casting is machined manually by skilled machinists the deficiencies of propeller drawings do not become unbearably stifling. On the other hand, if numerically controlled machines are to be used for pattern making and machining of propeller castings, an impasse is reached because, unlike their human counterparts, numerically controlled machines can not function with hazy geometrical data. The manner in which propeller geometry is defined must be such that it assists the manufacturer in comparison of the evolving shape with the originally defined shape. This requires some understanding of the way in which propellers are manufactured and the manner in which the propeller geometry evolves. Comparison of shape is for the purpose of evaluation of shape. Thus the manner in which propeller geometry is defined and measured has an enormous bearing on the processes of quality control, and quality control considerations must, in turn, be reflected in the way in which propeller geometry is defined. The purpose of this paper is to look at the problem of propeller geometry definition from this perspective.
- Paper presented on 23 April 1980 to the Chesapeake Section, SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- RAWAT, P
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Casting; Machining; Manufactures; Numerical control; Production control; Propellers; Quality control; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Casting methods; Machining methods; Propeller balancing; Propeller design; Propeller geometry; Propeller manufacture
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00319096
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM